Thursday 10 May 2012

(carolee schneemann interior script)


I first saw this piece when visiting the Tate in Liverpool a couple of years ago. Before I even  knew what the images were about the aesthetics of this piece instantly drew me in. It reminded me of 'sheela Na gig' ( a pre christian fertility goddess,  representing mother earth and female power) This is why I was originally drawn to it, I then found when reading about the artists intent with this piece that it wasn't all too far from the meaning and origins of Sheela Na gig. It was intended to represent, the inner scroll of knowledge, female power and perhaps that is on the level of the pre christian goddess, leading me to believe this may have been her inspiration , or at least one of them.
It is dramatic and again hard hitting, making you stand up an pay attention, anything with love and passion within it will always hold a place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment